The Global Center on Adaptation (GCA) is an international organization that works as a solutions broker to catalyze action and support for adaptation solutions, from the international to the local, in partnership with the public and private sector, to ensure we learn from each other and work together for a climate resilient future. Adapting to impacts of climate change provides a “win-win” for health, livelihoods, food security, water supply, human security and economic growth. The work of the GCA elevates the visibility and political importance of climate adaptation and facilitates solutions, such as smarter investments, new technologies and better planning to become more resilient to climate-related threats. GCA is a rapidly growing organization with offices in Abidjan, Beijing, Dhaka, Groningen, and Rotterdam.
The GCA has an ambitious 2020-2025 business plan with three pillars:
• Programs: GCA’s Programs include: Food Security; Using Nature for more resilient infrastructure; Water for Urban Growth and Resilience; Climate Finance; Youth Leadership
• Knowledge: Building adaptation knowledge globally and in countries through cutting edge knowledge products such as the State and Trends in Adaptation Report; Data and Knowledge Platform
• Advocacy and Awareness: Formulating policy messages to move adaptation agenda forward globally and in countries.
GCA’s work program in Africa is of paramount importance. All of the components of GCA’s Business Plan must succeed to support changing the momentum and pace of adaptation in Africa. Guiding GCA’s program in Africa are two flagships: 1) Africa Adaptation Accelerator Program (AAAP), co-created and implemented with African Development Bank Group (AfDB) to support African countries on key adaptation initiatives; and 2) State and Trends in Adaptation: Africa, a flagship knowledge publication prepared with the Africa Adaptation Initiative (AAI), and regional and global knowledge partners to advance the knowledge base and provide evidence-based knowledge for African countries to take stock of progress and develop improved adaptation measures.
ABOUT THE ROLE
GCA seeks a dynamic individual to fill the role of Senior Program Officer Food Security and Rural Well-being working as a core team member to drive forward the Global Center on Adaptation’s role as a solutions broker in the field of adaptation action. The staff work as a member of the Program team under the immediate supervision of the Program Lead to carry out GCA’s work on climate-smart digital technologies for agriculture and food security across the African continent, comprising technical conceptual development on data-enabled and digital technologies that can accelerate of adaptation by smallholders and contribute to resilient value support to countries on the implementation of the ClimSmartDigAg pillar; working with AfDB and other partners on the AAAP.**
· Prepare concept notes and reports outlining technical conceptual development on data-enabled and digital technologies
· engage with AAAP partners on implementation;
· represent GCA at country, regional, and global engagements
· support GCA senior management engagement at country, regional, and global engagements;
· provide advice to countries during implementation of the AAAP pillar.
· Master’s degree or higher in climate sciences, environmental science, agriculture or related fields.
· A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in digital technology or related fields.
· Experience working in Africa.
· professional experience in working to support stakeholders with data-enabled or digital technologies for agriculture.
· Knowledge of digital technologies for smallholders, weather data services and systems, climate change and adaptation.
· Knowledge of the ecosystem of digital technologies.
· Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite).
· Excellent spoken and written English, skills in French language will be an added advantage.
· Excellent report writing and presentation skills.