WHO WE ARE
Peace is our commitment. The United States Institute of Peace represents the American people’s shared values and commitment to peace around the world. We know that Peace is Security – it advances both U.S. and international security by preventing, managing, and mitigating violent conflict.
We are an independent, non-partisan institution and are actively engaged with peacebuilding efforts around the world. Together we tackle the toughest problems and hold fast to the possibility of a more peaceful world. To learn more about USIP programs and job openings, go to https://www.usip.org/about/careers.
If you have a passion for making the world a better place and want to have a front-row seat on the world stage, USIP is the place for you.
As part of the North Africa team, the Research Analyst (Scope of Work Contractor) will provide research and general programmatic support to the Senior Program Officer for North Africa at USIP’s headquarters.
The contractor will provide research support for analysis and writing (reports, op-eds, website content, social media content, long and short-form publications, and other publications as needed) related to current events in Morocco (including Western Sahara), Algeria, Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt. The contractor will monitor regional news outlets to identify potential new areas for research and analysis; the contractor may be asked to draft original research and analysis pieces under the guidance of the Senior Program Officer for North Africa. The contractor will create news summaries that track identified issues in a particular country or across the North Africa region. The contractor will attend events, meetings, roundtables, and other gatherings in DC on topics related to North Africa and be expected to produce written summaries for incorporation into internal and external facing products. The contractor will collect, develop, and disseminate read-ahead materials for participants in USIP-hosted events and gatherings.
This is a scope of work contract with the flexibility of remote work. The approximate hourly range is to be determined depending on education and experience.
Up to 15 hours per week during regular business hours starting as soon as possible through June 2022, with the possibility of extension based on satisfactory performance and funding availability.
• Provide research and analysis support as assigned
• Produce content for written publications as assigned
• Daily written news summaries highlighting relevant information
• Attend local events and gatherings, write summaries of attended events
• Prepare read-ahead documents for USIP-hosted events
• Final Narrative and Financial Report covering entire contract period,
• Bachelor’s degree in international relations required. A major in Middle East North Africa studies preferred.
• One (1) or more years related business or administrative experience to become familiar with general personnel practices, accounting, and budgeting principles and coordination of major office activities preferred.
• Strong working knowledge of the Middle East North Africa required, with demonstrated enthusiasm for the subject matter.
• Excellent writing and communications skills are preferred.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team; excellent organizational skills; flexibility; strong detail orientation.
• Familiarity with standard office software, online research databases and social media platforms preferred.
• Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize work and meet deadlines.
All USIP contract and employee positions are contingent upon the favorable completion of a suitability background investigation.
USIP is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy and practice of USIP to offer equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees without regard to race, color, age, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, HIV/AIDS status, political affiliations or belief, pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply for this position, please use the following URL: