Market and Value Chain Specialist (Scientist)
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic and results-oriented Market and Value Chain Specialist, with a strong interest in the agri-input sector, market intelligence and understanding farmer demand. The position focuses on agri-market and business research and development in support of a portfolio of projects, with special attention to maize agri-food and seed systems. The position contributes to and draws on the experiences of a large multi-disciplinary international research team, including the team associated with Accelerating Genetic Gains in Maize and Wheat (AGG) which focuses on developing and deploying improved and stress tolerant maize and wheat cultivars for Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA).
The selected candidate will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Integrated Development Program (IDP) in close collaboration with all other relevant CIMMYT programs and units.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s campus in Nairobi, Kenya.
· Provide leadership in the design and implementation of a strategic research-for-development (R4D) agenda around private sector engagement in formal seed systems, to include challenges related to seed marketing and seed business development in Eastern Africa
· Engage in the design and implementation of research in the context of one-CGIAR initiatives related to value chains, seed systems, market intelligence, and others
· Translate findings into practical R4D priorities and implications, including the development of strategies, options and recommendations to set research priorities, guide policy decisions, facilitate adoption and adaptation, stimulate scaling up and out and enhance social inclusiveness
Engage with external partners (NGOs, NARES, private sector) and CIMMYT team members in Eastern Africa, Southern Asia, and Latin America for the design and implementation of innovative research
· Publish research findings in international peer-reviewed journals and contribute to dissemination of results to stakeholders via workshops and webinars
· Demonstrate leadership in efforts to mobilize resources for the expansion of work by CIMMYT in areas related to seed systems, value chains, and SME development
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
· Ph.D. in agribusiness, market/value chain research or a related field
· Track record of quality publications in recognized economic development journals
· Active interest and preferably experience in the seed sector and/or seed business research and development
· Preferably at least five years of relevant experience
· Familiarity with the agricultural development and technology delivery issues
· Demonstrated ability to excel in complex, multidisciplinary research or development projects
· Good partnership building skills, including ability to interact with funding agencies; deliver effectively; and moderate meetings with local partners
· Experience with applied research related to public-private partnerships and business models would be an added advantage
· A high degree of personal organization and ability to work under pressure
· Ability to work with different nationalities and disciplines, as a member of a diverse work team
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, with established publication record in international peer-reviewed journals
· The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Achievement Orientation, Problem Solving, Decision-making, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution and Teamwork
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.