Deputy Health Program Manager at Premiere Urgence Internationale (PUI)
Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a non-governmental, non-profit, non-political, and non-religious international aid organization. Our teams are committed to supporting civilians’ victims of marginalization and exclusion, or hit by natural disasters, wars, and economic collapses, by answering their fundamental needs. Our aim is to provide emergency relief to uprooted people to help them recover their dignity and regain self-sufficiency.
The PUI Nigerian mission was officially opened in April 2016, with a focus on meeting urgent needs, including improving access to food commodities, primary health care, and nutrition for internally displaced people (IDP) and host communities (HC) living in Maiduguri metropolitan council (MMC). The progressive sectorial widening allowed PUI to start implementing an integrated approach from 2017 in food security, livelihoods, and nutrition and health sectors, with the support of ECH, FFP, OFDA, and CIAA/CDC, in line with PUI’s global strategy. From the launch of the health care services in February 2017 to the end of April 2018, a total of 119 913 OPD consultations were reached in Bolori 2, while more than 60.000 beneficiaries have been reached by our cash project. In mid-2018, PUI developed its comprehensive response by adding protection and community outreach (PCO) activities to the existing programs in Bolori 2. In the month of October 2018 only, more than 3.500 households have received a door-to-door visit from the PCO team. In 2018, PUI has also scaled up its intervention with the opening of the Monguno LGA base, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community.
PUI has been supporting the MOH in providing primary health care services through three outreach clinics and two PHCCs and in 2021 transits to support 4 PHCCs in Bolori 2. The severity of the needs and the reduction of humanitarian access make PUI positioning in Health and Nutrition crucial, especially in Monguno where PUI has taken over some core activities from ALIMA at the beginning of 2021 after they closed their program there. At the end of 2020, PUI launched an exploratory mission, along with INGO colleagues in Zamfara State (Northwest), and has developed a strategy for its upcoming intervention in the area. In 2022, PUI continues with its intervention as it considers the opening of the PULKA field office, with the main objectives of reducing morbidity and mortality of the most vulnerable population and promoting protection amongst the whole affected community.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
- Job Title: Deputy Health Program Manager
- Location: Monguno, Borno
- Employment Type: Full-time
- Number of Positions: 01
- Open to: Nigeria Nationals Only (Male/Female)
- Contract Start Date: 1st February 2023
- Contract Duration: 4 months (with possible extension)
- Under the supervision of the Health Project Manager (PM), the Health Deputy Project Manager (DPM) shall ensure the overall support and direct supervision of the teams working in PUI facilities and enrolled in the PUI health project Monguno.
- S/he should assist the health PM in planning, organizing, implementing, and monitoring agreed with health activities and planned capacity building.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Support in the good implementation and monitoring of the health projects in collaboration with the Health Project Manager
- Ensure that agreed activities and procedures are regularly and timely performed by Health teams
- Participate actively in the supervision of health activities through checklists, observations, and reports to the Health Program Manager
- Supervise monthly planning and action plan within the Health facilities
- Ensure that the team is following up proper medical protocols, and applying them according to international and national recommendations and guidelines
- Ensure the rational use of medicines and the proper administration of treatments in step with national and international protocols.
- Collaborate with other departments (MHPSS, Nutrition, Protection, and Food Security) as needed to ensure smooth implementation and integration of services
- Ensure that members of the teams and daily paid workers as the case may be, are provided with safety gear adapted to their activities (for example PEP kits [post-exposure treatment kits], and gloves…).
- Ensure that beneficiaries and local populations understand the project objectives and participate actively in their implementation.
- Assist the Health Project Manager in the development of new interventions and/or adjustment of current interventions.
- Manage the supervisors/team leader with effective guidance and adequate support
- Ensure the implementation of good team management practices with supervisors/team leader
- Follow up on staff schedules, annual leave, and attendance sheets in accordance with HR procedures
- Manage the recruitment of new staff in collaboration with supervisors and the Health Program Manager
- Draw up Job descriptions as needed, in collaboration with the Health Program Manager
- Participate in the regular evaluation of team medical and non-medical staff in collaboration with HPM Assess training needs, develop training plans, facilitate and perform training for medical and nonmedical staff, and follow up on the impact after training
- Ensure that the Health team is respecting PUI rules and inform the Health Project Manager of any disrespect of the rules
- Ensure the security rules in the field are respected, the safety of the field officers is guaranteed and regular communication with the security focal person is maintained
Monitoring, Follow-Up & Reporting:
- Supervise data collection on all medical and non-medical activities
- Analyze epidemiological indicators and ensure that they are followed properly
- Participate in the budget follow-up with the Health Project Manager and make sure budget lines are spent properly
- Draft the internal and external reports to Health PM or/and the Medical Coordinator or other PMs
- Report to the Health Project Manager any problem in the projects, especially any gap/loss/robbery/damage of medical equipment or drugs or any patient and organizational issue
- Provide essential preventative assistance services and follow up on identified beneficiaries with NCDs and other diseases/morbidities of Public Health relevance
Logistics & Administrative Support:
- Ensure proper needs analysis from the projects, addressing both medical (pharmaceuticals, consumables, and equipment) and non-medical requirements
- Support logistics and pharmacy department by analyzing supplier bids with highly technical specifications
- Communicate to logistics for fleet needs, and logistical components of the projects (delivery, distribution, onsite storage)
- Ensure appropriate supply plan, with central pharmacy, on weekly/monthly base principle for the facility
- Ensure, in coordination with the logistics and pharmacy department, appropriate storage of medications, medical consumables, equipment, and medical waste.
- Ensure that HR documents (attendance sheet, leave request, etc) are communicated to the HR Manager on time, with validation by the Health Project Manager
- Ensure the archiving of the documents, tools, and training materials in the context of the project/s and ensures the availability of the verification sources mentioned in the proposals.
Internal and External Representation:
- Participate in meetings, strategy workshops, training, and others, as required.
- Participate in any other activities such as surveys, and assessments, among others.
- In coordination with the Health Project Manager, conduct health assessments related to other sectors (psychological support, prevalence of water-borne diseases, sexual and reproductive health, etc.).
- Participate actively in the preparation and the smooth organization of the visit from Donors
- Represent the organization before local actors involved in the implementation of the medical program, and contribute to good relations with project partners (consistent with the principles of neutrality and independence of PUI)
Priorities of the Department:
- Ensure the quality of care provided to patients in the PUI health facility
- Ensure SGBV activities are established at all the health facilities as planned
- Assessment of beneficiaries at risk and diagnosed individuals with communicable and non-communicable diseases, other diseases of public health relevant and treatment him.
- Build the capacity of the health team on thematic related to health
- Provide frequent feedback on health–illness patterns observed in the facility that require further assessment
- Report to the line manager periodically regarding context changes that affect the modality of intervention
- Medical Doctor from a recognized University who holds a valid practicing license.
- A degree in Public Health will be an added advantage.
- Fluent in English and Hausa; good knowledge of Kanuri is an asset.
- At least 2 years of experience in Clinical Management and staff supervision
- Experience in running Primary Health Care Programs,s especially with NGO/INGO
Knowledge and Skills:
- Good knowledge of Public Health
- Ability to manage a fair workload including emergencies
- Knowledge of medical ethics
- Excellent knowledge of MS office software including Word, Excel, Outlook
- Good reporting skills
- Interests: Working in humanitarian relief
- Knowledge of PUI programming in Monguno will be an added advantage.
- Transversals skills
- Excellent communication, conflict-solving, and diplomacy skills to manage relationships in potentially tense situations
- Strong motivation to help people in need
- Ability to make decisions and exercise authority when required
- Understanding of the political situation in the area
- Ability to analyze and suggest improvements to the activities
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a mission or the organization itself
- Well-organized and hard worker
- Able to manage stress and pressure
- Able to check the validity of information, logical thinking
- Team Management
- Good communication skills
N560,000 – N602,000 monthly.
Application Closing Date
2nd January 2023.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CVs to: