Salary £50,000 – £60,000 per annum
Grade 1 Senior Leadership Team/Senior Specialist**.**
Hours: Full time Permanent (37.5 hours per week)
Responsible to: Director of International Programmes (Head of Programme Delivery)
Direct reports: Grants Manager, Programme Funding Manager, Partnership Manager
Key Interdependencies Deputy Director of International Programmes (Head of Programme Delivery), Director of Finance, Director of Fundraising & Communications, Head of Supply Chain, Head of Programme Quality, Head of Emergency Response, Head of Legal & Risk
Location: Truro, Cornwall, or Remote Working (with regular travel to Truro)
Travel: Work away from home, this may be UK or overseas training or in-country Programme support.
The Head of Programme Funding will manage and provide strong leadership to a dynamic team securing funding from donors and funding streams.
They will strengthen and expand the existing programme funding portfolio through the development and implementation of a global programme funding strategy, which considers external factors and drivers for displacement.
The Head of Programme Funding will also ensure that funding activities are effectively coordinated. They will support the development and implementation of funding proposals and strategies which align with International Programme activities and capacities, and which align with donor priorities.
Provide support to the Programme Funding team in developing quality proposals/bids to achieve high success rates, including working with wider teams to facilitate strong proposal development and design processes.
This role will provide the support and guidance to the team to build programme units, and grant management capabilities to both manage and account for project funds. This will be achieved by developing policies, protocols, guidance on specific institutional donor rules and compliance, and development of appropriate tools (e.g., templates, trackers) for end-to-end project management cycles with a particular focus and getting ShelterBox ready to be able to manage institutional funding.
This role will also report to the CEO/Board of Trustees on a regular basis on Programme Funding performance. The International Programmes Leadership team will also work closely with our Fundraising /Finance teams and larger affiliates (particularly ShelterBox USA) to ensure an aligned approach to fundable opportunities. The role will also encompass high-level relationship building and advocacy to consolidate the reputation and position of ShelterBox within the humanitarian sector.
This role will be joining a fast-paced organisation realigning itself for further growth in the face of mounting humanitarian needs. We look forward to welcoming candidates who share our passion and teamwork to achieve this.
Who are we looking for?
We are seeking an individual with significant relevant experience working within the humanitarian sector and a solid understanding of humanitarian principles.
ShelterBox is seeking an experienced, delivery focused, practical, motivated and proactive individual with a strong understanding of major fundraising. The role requires an ability to build strong relationships, negotiate, influence and inform colleagues across the organisation in order to strengthen our ability to win and manage grants.
You will need to be comfortable creating and developing the systems, processes and tools required for success, rather than working within a mature existing framework. It is an exciting opportunity to be part of building on ShelterBox’s funding growth with the right approaches and strategy.
Head of Programme Funding
● Effectively manage the Programme Funding Team to deliver on this Strategic Plan, including identifying key KPI’s & action plans.
● Ensure the timely identification of funding opportunities through regularly monitoring calls for proposals, communicating opportunities to the relevant ShelterBox teams (at national, and international levels).
● Working with Head of Legal & Risk in negotiating and signing contracts with the donor and/or consortium partners.
● Working closely with ShelterBox staff (both national and international level, including Programmes & Finance staff) to understand and manage their contract obligations with respect to funding grants. This includes ensuring compliance with grant/contract management, reporting processes and outputs, and negotiations with the donor/consortium partners for any issues or revisions.
● Plan, coordinate and deliver a functioning pipeline of ‘Fundable Opportunities’ that supports the Programme strategy and enables Fundraising to meet income goals.
● Own and manage processes and resources related to the effective coordination of Fundable Opportunities with stakeholders from across the global organisation. Oversee and serve as decision maker on new bids against Fundable Opportunities (escalating as appropriate) based on assessment of fund absorption capacity.
● Manage Fundable Opportunities and the tasks against them, advising Finance, Grants Manager, Programme Teams and Fundraising staff on their responsibilities for coordinating activity.
● Oversee a system to maintain relevant project, finance and reporting information (including restrictions on asks and grant management) for fundable activities, packaged Fundable Opportunities, proposals, and awarded grants.
● Provide thought-partnership to restricted income fundraisers, guiding them on appropriate projects for which to apply for funding and support their use of the Fundable Opportunities process to facilitate this.
● Ensure understanding of any implications, risks and opportunities of funding applications/awards, and that all relevant team members understand the terms and conditions of successful donor grant agreements/contracts, including key deadlines.
● Facilitate input from, and work collaboratively with, staff from programme, technical and finance teams on the development of proposals and budgets
● Programme Funding Monitoring, and Management: Monitor project compliance and implementation to ensure projects are delivered to specifications.
● Develop and maintain relationships with key Affiliate staff ensuring that the strategy is understood, and fundraising opportunities are maximised.