Work Location: in one of the following ICJ regional offices: Tunis, Johannesburg or Kathmandu.
Position Start date: as soon as possible.
The International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) is a global network of judges and lawyers united in affirming international law and rule of law principles that advance human rights. Since 1952, the International Commission of Jurists (ICJ) has performed a unique and prominent role as a nongovernmental organization defending human rights and the rule of law worldwide. With its Headquarters based in Geneva, ICJ operates on the ground in Africa, Latin America, Asia & the Pacific, Europe & Central Asia, and the Middle East.
The ICJ is seeking to recruit a proactive and flexible Finance Officer. The ideal candidate has at least 3 years’ professional experience with focus on financial management.
As part of the Finance team and in close coordination with program managers, finance officers and directors, the Finance Officer will provide financial services to the organization and ensure accurate financial information and compliance with internal financial procedures and reporting standards.
Working under the supervision of the Director of Finance & Administration, the Finance Officer’s tasks and responsibilities will include:
· Prepare Program/project budgets; analyses and monitors budget-to-actual variances, and participates in budget’s realignment process;
· Perform internal cost analyses, develop or review internal and external financial reports and provide financial information to program managers, and Directors for their follow up;
· Prepare, process, review, and ensure accuracy and conformity of accounting documents and accounting entries;
· Receive and process invoices in the accounting software;
· Validate and process purchase requests and ensure their budget follow up;
· Validate invoices, money transfer, cash advances;
· Produces donor’s intermediate and final financial reports in close coordination with the program managers;
· Participate in monthly and annual closing for the regional offices and Geneva accounts;
· Participate in the implementation of Internal Control Systems and elaboration of financial control tools and in implementation of the accounting system;
· Provide training and guidance on financial procedures and accounting software to financial and administration staff in Geneva and in regional and country offices;
· Assist in other financial and administrative tasks as requested by the Director of Finance & Administration.
The successful candidate will have:
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Auditing or any related field.
Experience and finance skills
· A minimum of 3-5 years work experience in accounting or finance. Please note that the position’s level will be commensurate with experience, either Finance officer or Associate Finance Officer;
· Experience with an NGO an asset;
· Demonstrated skills in budget preparation and follow-up as well as financial reports to institutional donors required;
· Experience in remote financial management and remote mentoring desirable;
· Knowledge of analytical accounting desirable;
· Experience in capacity building desirable.
· Fluent in English (written and spoken); Fluent in French desirable.
· Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, Spread sheet and Word-processing programmes; Knowledge of Accounting software an asset (Navision).
· Strong organisational, planning and time-management skills;
· Ability to take initiative;
· Ability to work under pressure and to adapt to changing priorities and needs;
· Attention to detail and accuracy;
· Excellent interpersonal skills, teamwork;
· Commitment to human rights and the rule of law.
The ICJ is an equal opportunities employer and offers a competitive salary package. No relocation package is foreseen.
How to apply Interested applicants should provide all materials outlined below to firstname.lastname@example.org by the 09 December 2021, midnight Central European Time (CET).
Please include Finance Officer/Associate Finance Officer in the subject line of the application e-mail. The ICJ shall not be liable for not opening proposals that are submitted with a different subject.
• A CV (maximum 2 pages);
• A cover letter (maximum 1 page);
• The names and contact information of at least two recent references.
• IMPORTANT! Please indicate in your email signature your current address (city & country), and in which ICJ regional office you are applying to work: Tunis, Johannesburg or Kathmandu.
Please appreciate that due to the volume of applications, only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The ICJ is unable to respond to phone enquiries.
The ICJ is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity and value a diverse workforce. The ICJ’s policy is to practice a fair and non-discriminatory recruitment and selection procedure and to strive for and maintain international and multi-cultural personnel.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.