United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Representation in Thailand
Vacancy Announcement No. 32/2021
Date Issued of the Vacancy Announcement:
1 December 2021
Position Number : N/A
Associate RSD Officer
Closing Date of the Vacancy Announcement:
14 December 2021
Local Individual Contractor Agreement (UNOPS)
Availability of the Post : 4 January – 30 June 2022 (6 months with possible extension)
The Eligibility Associate is a member of the Refugee Status Determination (RSD) team. S/he is responsible for conducting RSD interviews to determine eligibility for refugee status and drafting RSD assessments at first instance, appeal and re-opening stage. The Eligibility Associate provides counseling to asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s RSD procedures, their rights and obligations, including towards the host authorities, and the status of the processing of their claims. The Eligibility Associate is responsible for conducting COI and other research related to RSD and maintaining the Operation’s local repository of relevant information, guidelines and standards. The Eligibility Associate assists in compiling and analyzing information related to the RSD activities of the Operation, and in drafting related correspondence and reports. S/he is responsible for supporting activities related to the processing of refugee claims and possibly Registration, Community Services, Durable Solutions, and other Protection activities. Furthermore, to prepare for the Royal Thai Government (RTG)’s upcoming implementation of a regulatory framework and national mechanism, the Eligibility Associate will support UNHCR Thailand’s work to facilitate a smooth assumption of responsibilities by the RTG by translating documents from English into Thai and vice versa, support capacity building activities, as well as conducting legal research and preparing reports as needed.
Scope of Assignments
· Undertake refugee status determination (RSD) for first instance, appeal and reopening according to UNHCR guidelines, procedural standards and other relevant materials. Conduct interviews, draft individual case assessments, submit recommendations and undertake necessary follow-ups, taking into account a gender perspective and relevant standards.
· Draft and prepare decision notification letters and other related documentation.
· Provide legal information, advice, counseling and support to asylum-seekers and refugees, as well as relevant partners.
· Identify priority cases for durable solutions in accordance with UNHCR guidelines, under the guidance of the Supervisor(s), as may be required.
· Perform any other tasks as assigned by supervisor, including supporting other protection units as requested.
Monitoring and Progress Controls
· The Eligibility Associate processes RSD cases per week (RSD Interview and RSD Assessment completed), or alternatively appeal- or re-opening reviews according to set targets.
· UNHCR’s RSD procedures are implemented in accordance with relevant UNHCR standards and policies, including policies related to age, gender, and diversity mainstreaming (AGDM).
· Persons of concern have fair and transparent access to the RSD procedures.
· Persons of concern are treated with dignity, respect and professionalism.
· Complex cases, including exclusion and cancellation cases are assessed in a timely manner, taking into consideration UNHCR guidelines, international law and standards, relevant jurisprudence and Country of Origin Information.
Qualifications and Experiences Requirements
· High School with 3 years of relevant experience or Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of relevant experience.
· Working experience with principles and procedures related to refugee status determination
· Fluency in spoken and written English and Thai.
· Good research and analytical skills
· Computer Skills
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
· Knowledge of another UN language (Arabic, Chinese) and/or Urdu would be an advantage.
Submission of Applications: Please submit your Motivation Letter, duly signed P.11 form, Curriculum Vitae and a copy of official ID card/national passport clearly stating the position title, vacancy notice number and your Last Name in the subject line to: THABAHR@unhcr.org by the closing date.
Applications will not be acknowledged. Only the successful candidate will be notified of the outcome of the selection process.
The Personal History Form and its supplementary sheet can be downloaded from: https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11_UNHCR.docm and https://www.unhcr.or.th/sites/default/files/u11/P11SUP_UNHCR.docm
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
Refugees – who cares? We Do