Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) is recruiting for an experienced communications and PR professional to lead our humanitarian communications strategy regionally. The Communications Director, Europe and the Middle East, leads communications related to Habitat for Humanity’s work in these regions, promoting the Habitat brand with targeted audiences in Europe and the Middle East as well as globally, in concert with Habitat’s overall brand strategy. The Communications Director, Europe and the Middle East, reports to the Senior Director, International Communications, based in Atlanta, Georgia, US. This position manages the creation of compelling content and identifies strategically important platforms, channels and initiatives for delivering that content to advance Habitat’s brand awareness, advocacy efforts, programs and fundraising, with a special focus on Habitat’s global fundraising network and institutional donors. The Communications Director helps position Habitat with key partners, working closely with the Senior Vice President, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, to support events and relationships in Europe and the Middle East. The Communications Director is responsible for developing collaborative relationships at various levels of the organization, from other Global Communications department staff to fundraising, advocacy and program staff to leadership and communications leads at national organizations, branches and other Habitat offices in the region.
Communications strategy (20%)
* Collaborate closely with the Senior Director, International Communications, and others on the International Communications team to develop and implement aspects of the international communications strategy related to Europe and the Middle East
* Develop communications strategies that help advance regional initiatives related to brand-building, programs, advocacy and fundraising, with a special emphasis on meeting the needs of Habitat’s global network of donors as well as foundation, organizational and institutional partners.
Storytelling and brand-building (25%):
* Lead the development of content for key communications platforms, ensuring projects are consistent with organizational brand strategy.
* Play a lead role in identifying the communications channels, platforms and events in the region that can best deliver Habitat’s content to audiences that are strategically important for brand positioning, fundraising, advocacy and/or programs. This includes securing media coverage of Habitat’s work and strategic initiatives across broadcast, radio, print and online media in Europe and the Middle East. * Support national organizations in their storytelling and brand awareness efforts.
Program communications (25%)
* Help interpret Habitat’s programming and expertise for strategically important audiences by preparing both the messaging and the messengers.
* Support Habitat fundraisers with the necessary communications collateral related to programs in Europe and the Middle East so that they can continue to gain support from Habitat’s global network of donors.
* Support subject matter experts and other program staff by editing presentations or developing talking points.
Regional signature events (20%)
* Lead on communications planning and implementation for signature Habitat and sector events such as the Europe Housing Forum and UN-led forums.
* Support fundraisers, including those on the foundations, organizations and institutions team, in helping build relationships with key partners in Europe and the Middle East.
* Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field.
* 10 years in regional communications work, especially managing regional projects with multiple stakeholders.
* Experience developing successful communications strategies that help advance both larger organizational objectives and those of a particular team or initiative within an organization.
* Proficiency in building creative concepts and demonstrated ability to see storytelling projects through to completion, including both written and visual aspects.
* Experience with media relations in Europe and/or the Middle East.
* Proven ability to write, edit, evaluate and curate strong content and design related to international development while meeting brand, marketing and messaging needs.
* Strong communications and problem-solving skills.
* Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural competencies and organizational and project management skills that demonstrate an ability to successfully collaborate with a variety of departments and stakeholders.
* Active support of HFHI Values:
– Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves
– Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular
– Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission
– Safeguarding: HFHI requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities, and all those with whom we work. Managers at all levels have responsibilities to support and develop systems that create and maintain an environment that prevents harassment, sexual exploitation and abuse, safeguards the rights of beneficiaries and community members (especially children), and promotes the implementation of Habitat for Humanity’s code of conduct.
* Previous nonprofit experience.
* Experience with international development and social change.
* Deep knowledge of, and experience in, Europe and the Middle East.